Well, I'm finally getting into the swing of things. My first week of class is over! I decided to drop one class since I'm fine on credits so, yet again, I don't have class on Friday. I'm hoping to utilize that extra day to go traveling for the 3-day weekend.
I'm starting to make friends here, which is really nice. Some are American, but the South Africans that I hang out with are predominately Zulu. The KwaZulu-Natal region was named because of it's overwhelming Zulu population so the majority of blacks here are of Zulu descent. They'll switch between speaking Zulu and English as they talk - it's really cool to listen to.
Last night I went to the UKZN version of a bar party (for non-DU people, at DU different student organizations will rent out a club and there will be a huge party of all DU students). It was similar to DU, except that it was 100x more diverse, and people of all different races and ethnicities were dancing together and just having a good time. It was cool to see people of all different colors and backgrounds enjoying themselves together in a place that is so divided.
Other than that, there isn't much else going in. Because it's winter here it is absolutely frigid at night (and sometimes during the day... yesterday was in the low 40s! No fun.) but normally the daytime is beautiful. Pietermaritzburg is surrounded by rolling hills and it's just beautiful when the sun is out and the sky is blue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment