Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hello winter in August...

Today is the most miserable day - we're experiencing a total downpour and I'm soaked through my jeans from just walking to the computer lab. I think I may have to go against my Seattle roots and actually buy an umbrella. Yikes!

Things are continuing to look up. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster these first few weeks, but I'm starting to really settle in. Sometimes I feel so lonely here since I am without my close friends and support system that I'm used to at home. I'm so happy to be here; it's a beautiful place... an amazing experience, but there are times when I feel so alone. I'm really starting to make friends though, and the "low" days are getting higher, and the "high" days are getting higher than they were before. I'm starting to meet people in my classes, and I'm getting to the point where I'll walk to class and say hello to 4 or 5 people along the way. It's exciting, because I'm really starting to feel like I'm a part of the UKZN community. Things are continually getting better. :)

Next weekend is a long weekend (we have Monday off because of a national holiday) so I'm heading to Durban for 3 nights. We've made reservations at a backpacker's place that sounds awesome. It's right off of Florida Road - a very hip, cosmopolitan area of Durban. The hostel hosts bunny chow (Indian curry in white bread bowls) nights, braais (South African bbqs) and even has a swimming pool! I'm so excited because backpacker's places have people from all over the world, so it'll be a really interesting and exciting experience. Three of my really good friends here are also from Durban, so they're going to show us around. It's going to be great!

Classes are still slow-going... I'm not used to the semester system! It takes a little longer to get into the swing of things because there is more time to complete the material. Still no word on my internship - supposedly I'll find out next Thursday but we'll see. TIA. ;)

Can't wait to tell all of you about Durban next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment