Saturday, August 29, 2009

Salvation Army... yet again :)

I went to the Salvation Army the last two days, and it was really fantastic. Yesterday I worked with the older kids for the entire time, which was a first, and I did the same today. This morning I was laying in bed, not wanting to do anything, when another intern texted me and asked if I wanted to come. Amazingly, I dragged myself out of bed, somewhat dreading the looming exhaustion that was sure to follow.

Yes, the kids wore me out like usual, but it was so worth it. I wanted to intern while I was here in order to get outside of myself and give back, but it's clear that the kids are giving me just as much as I am giving them. Being with them is instantly gratifying - they just love to have some love, attention, and someone to play with. They have really lifted my spirits the last couple of times that I've been there. I've learned a bit about their stories, and they've all been through so much, yet they have not lost their ability to love or receive love, which never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment