Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life.

It's been an interesting weekend.

I can tell you one thing: I will be so happy to never been in res (aka dorms) again once I finish here. My flat has decided to be party central and they have been partying until 8 am the last two nights. The first night I got about 2 hours of sleep, and last night a friend let me stay in her room. It's frustrating because, unlike DU, there's nothing I can do about it. The RAs aren't in total control, and there's no such thing as a "noise violation" or "detox." I also feel very unsafe since it's just me and then a whole bunch of drunk guys. I'm jumpy whenever I'm in there because I don't feel comfortable and I don't trust them. Prayers for safety would be appreciated, because honestly, I've never felt more uncomfortable since I've been in this country. It's really hard to feel unsafe in a place that's supposed to be your home. Thankfully, my friends are looking out for me and have offered their rooms if it's too loud or uncomfortable, and friends off campus have offered up their couches. I'm being very well taken care of. :) 

Yesterday was an incredible day though, even though I was running on about 2 hours of sleep. I prayed that God would give me some energy, and He definitely provided! I went on the Midlands Meander (or at least part of it) with 5 of my friends from here. The Meader goes for miles and miles through the hill country outside of PMB and it's full of quaint little coffee shops and craft stores. You drive until you want to stop, get out, shop, eat, and then get back in the car. We had a fantastic lunch (and some great lemon meringue pie) and later stopped at this Belgian Chocolatier for the best hot chocolate I've ever had. They served this frothy steamed milk in a glass with chocolate smeared all along the inside. Then we was given a little dish of milk and dark chocolate chips, which we threw into the milk and stirred until it melted. Additionally, we were given a chocolate stick which we dipped and licked as it melted. It was delicious! After the hot chocolate we headed to Howick Falls, this pretty waterfall just outside of PMB. When we finished with the Meander we headed back to PMB where we went to my friends house to watch a movie, but ended up watching the most incredible African storm. I have never seen such spectacular lightning in my life! The thunder cracked and grumbled, and the sky lit up white and green. It was amazing!

I'm still feeling uneasy about my flat, but I've got good people taking care of me. :) It's still managed to be a wonderful weekend, so I can't complain too much! I'm going to the market in a little bit, and then will be heading to church later tonight. I'm just trying to enjoy every minute that I have since my time here is quickly coming to a close. Carpe diem? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment