Tuesday, November 3, 2009

khotso.pula.nala [peace.rain.prosperity - the motto of the Lesotho nation]

I just got back from 2 days in Lesotho, and it was incredible! The scenery was spectacular, and it was such an incredible cultural experience. For those who don't know, Lesotho is a small country land-locked by South Africa. It isn't all that far from where I am, but because we had to drive through Sani Pass and the roads are terrible, it took us about 8 hours from PMB to the village that we stayed in.

I went with 5 other American girls and we had a really good time. We departed from the Drakensburg mountains with this awesome South African guide named Christeen. She was one heck of a driver - I would have tipped that 4x4 over in the first 5 minutes! There were HUGE potholes in the road, and there were some places where there were literally "steps" of rocks that we had to drive over, not to mention the sharp turns and winding roads. It certainly was an adventure though.

We stayed in a traditional Basotho village in the mountains at the home of Mthati Tumiso. We met his wife, children, and grandchildren. It was so fun playing with the kids - they were adorable! We ate traditional Basotho food, participated in their traditional dance, went on a pony trek on Basotho ponies, and visited the local primary school. We taught both the village ladies and the children at the primary school the Hokey Pokey - it was so much fun! They also had us sing our national anthem... I've decided that Star Spangled Banner really is far too high.

The Basotho people were so interesting. They are mountain people and are known for their sheperding, wool and blankets. They roam the mountains with their sheep and cows, and wear blankets wrapped around them at all times as a jacket. It was so awesome to spend time with them and learn about their culture.

The coolest part about all of it was that the "cultural experience" was a community project - so all of our money went to benefit the local community. It wasn't touristy at all, but rather it was a looking glass into the lives of these people in an authentic form. I'm really glad that I was able to go.

My travelling is now done. The next time that I travel it will be back to the United States on November 19. I am so sad to leave. I feel very melancholy right now at the thought. It makes me angry that I feel this way because feeling sorry for myself and stressing about going back isn't going to make things better... it's just going to make me an emotional wreck. I am trying to look at going home as as much of an adventure as coming to South Africa. Things will be different - very different, but I need to go home with excitement about the new experiences that I will have in the place I call home.

1 comment:

  1. I am awed by your experience - your ability to capture it through the lens of your camera and the well crafted words that you write. Even though you are melancholy at the thought of leaving, the gift you've received AND have given by your presence there will travel with you wherever you go. We look forward to hearing about your adventures in the years to come!

    PS
    I agree - our national anthem is indeed WAY too high!

    ReplyDelete